Haga Palace was built in 1802 according to a design by architect Carl Christoffer Gjörwell, who was commissioned by Gustav IV Adolf. Gjörwell had already worked at Haga during the time of Gustav III, as an assistant to the King's favourite architect, Louis Jean Desprez.
The new palace was erected just north of Gustav III's Pavilion, and was eventually named the Queen's Pavilion. The building was intended as more of a home than a building for official purposes, and almost resembles a large villa.
Haga Palace has been used as a home for several members of the Bernadotte family over the years. In the 1930s the palace was modernised for Gustaf Adolf and Princess Sibylla, which resulted in a contemporary, functional home. The family grew, and many Swedes followed the lives of the young Haga princesses with great interest.
After standing empty for a long period, Gustaf VI Adolf granted use of the palace to the Swedish government for foreign guests. In 2009, the government transferred the right of disposal back to H.M. The King, in order to prepare a home for The Crown Princess Couple.
Since the autumn of 2010, the Crown Princess Couple live at Haga Palace.
The palace is not open to the public.