Sights, The Royal Djurgården

Rosendal Palace at Royal Djurgården. Photo: Norberg Design AB/Dick Norberg.

Take a stroll on the Royal Djurgården! The beautiful park surrounded by water offers many places to go and things to see.

Allmänna Gränd

The main thoroughfare of the Djurgården "township", including Gröna Lund and the Djurgården ferries.


"Pitch Island", formerly Biskopsholmen ("Bishop's Island"). In 1633 A. Schmidt was granted a licence to establish a pitch-boilery here. In the 19th century two large docks were blasted out of the rock in the harbour. The biggest of all, the Gustav V Dock, was added in the 1920s. The oldest buildings here are the Tar Inspector's living quarters, dating from the 1680s, and the "Chapel", which dates from 1724.


This house was once a "punch pavilion", and a bust of Bellman, sculpted by Johan Niclas Byström, was unveiled here on 26 July 1829. Bellman's commemoration day has been celebrated here ever since.


The name, "Bishop's Point", probably goes back to the Middle Ages, when residents included the Archbishop. Today it is known for its marina and the old Ekorren ("Squirrel") café.


"Blockhouse Point" was a small island in medieval times. In the (16th century) reign of Gustav Vasa, a blockhouse was built here to guard the shipping lane into Stockholm. A customs station was established on the point at the beginning of the 17th century. Off shore is one of the world's first automatic navigation lights, manufactured by AGA in 1905 and now electrified.


on Ladugårdsgärde was built for Karl XIV Johan in 1820 to designs by Fredrik Blom. Ravaged by fire in 1977, it has now been reconstructed.

Blå Porten

The name refers to the blue-painted entrances in the old fence round Djurgården. The present building dates from the (19th century) reign of Oskar I and was restored in 1967.


on Djurgårdsslätten was built as a riding school in the 1820s by a horseman called Kuhn.


This bridge, for the 1897 Stockholm exhibition, took two years to build.


"Djurgården Spa" occupies the site of an ancient votive spring, rediscovered in 1690 by the physician Urban Hjärne.


In 1825 Karl XIV Johan commanded that a canal be constructed between Djurgårdsbrunnsviken and Värtan. The project was directed by Captain Johan Odenburg and the canal opened in 1834.


This church, donated by Johan Burgman, was built in 1828 as a combined school and place of worship. It has belonged to the Parish of Oscar since 1896. The altar painting is the work of its donor, Prince Eugen.


In the 1640s Queen Christina donated this area to the Sailors' Fund of the Royal Admiralty, to provide a hospital for sailors. In the 18th century the area was parcelled off and turned into living quarters for mariners.


The gateway to the Stockholm Archipelago - a small cluster of islands along the shipping lane into Stockholm, consisting of Stora Fjäderholmen, Ängholmen, Libertas and Rövarns Holme ("Bandit Island"!). Stora Fjäderholmen in the 1880s became a licensed retail outlet where "Vodka King" L.O. Smith sold his "absolutely purest schnapps" at rock-bottom prices, to undercut the competition. Today the island is a very popular excursion point, offering restaurants, various craft shops and an archipelago aquarium.


gets its name from a small town southeast of Rome which Gustav III visited on his Italian journey. Villa Frescati was designed by the architect Louis Jean Desprez for Count Gustaf Mauritz Armfeldt.


"The Galley Yard" was opened for naval use in 1722: galleys were laid up here for the winter. The Gothic-style wall was designed by Fredrik Blom. The main entrance, known as Götiska Portalen ("Gothic Gate"), leads to the cemetery, which is now also the last resting place of bodies recovered from the flagship Vasa, 333 years after it sank, and also includes a memorial by Miroslav Balka to those who lost their lives in the Estonia disaster on 28 September 1996.


"Hazel Hill" did justice to its name until the 18th century, but the thick woods were then succeeded by the historic restaurant we see today.


"Isblad's Fen" gets its name from living quarters here in the 17th century for a court huntsman. Today it is a favourite resort of nesting birds.


This is one of the oldest of Djurgården place names: Kakunäs is already mentioned in the 1430s. Today it is best known for Kaknästornet, a 155-metre-high radio and television link tower.


The promontory northwest of Roslagstull. The inn there in the 18th century inspired a poem by Bellman about crayfish being boiled red in the pan in a cottage just beyond the toll gate.


at the intersection of Djurgårdsvägen/Manillavägen is a popular "turning point" for walkers. This oak tree was also the turning point of the first May day parade at the end of the 19th century..


Northwest of what is now the Nordic Museum, from the mid-16th century onwards, was the "Lion's Den" where lions were kept for animal baiting.

Lilla Skuggan

"Little Shade", on the shore of Lilla Värtan, was built in 1787 for J. Platin, Secretary at Court. Subsequent owners have included the architect F.W. Scholander and Professor Julius Kronberg, who has left his mark in the form of a painted ceiling, In 1919 Lilla Skuggan was acquired by the financier Ivar Kreuger.


was built in 1790-91 by Fredrik Magnus Piper as a summer residence for the English envoy Robert Liston.


was built in the 1770s. The Spanish Minister Ignacio de Coral enlarged the area, naming it after the capital founded by Spain in the Philippines. "The Public Institute for the Deaf and Dumb and Blind" was founded here in 1819 by P.A. Borg.

Manilla Holme

This is the island on which Queen Desideria and Crown Princess Josefina stepped onto Swedish soil with pomp and ceremony in 1823.


at Gröna Lund. The name, "Miller's Place", refers to the horse-powered flour mill which existed here in the 1740s. Mjölnargården is now a listed building.


A moveable house, designed by Fredrik Blom, was erected here in 1820 for Sir Thomas Baker, RN. The present main building, designed by Fredrik Boberg, was a wedding present to Princess Maria Pavlovna, consort of Prince Wilhelm, in 1908. Today it houses the Italian embassy.


Prince Carl and Princess Ingeborg took over this property in 1899 as their summertime residence.


The name, "Call Stone", recalls the days before there was a bridge to Lidingö and people wishing to cross over Värtan would shout for the ferry.

Rosendal Palace

The castle itself, designed by Fredrik Blom, was built between 1823 and 1827 as a retreat for Karl XIV Johan. It is now a museum and open for guided tours in the summer season.

Rosendals Trädgård

"The Rosendal Garden", with its school of horticulture, was a very important horticultural establishment in the 19th century. Today it is a market garden and café.


The Djurgården Inspector lived here in 1687. "Siri", we are told, was a favourite dog belonging to Sten Abraham Piper, Lord Steward at the Court in the 18th century.

Stora Skuggan

The land here was given to A. N. Edelcrantz by Gustav III in 1792. Edelcrantz named the place Skuggan ("Shade") and put up a number of large buildings here, including the octagonal Orangery, which is said to have been built as a greenhouse for palm trees. Today the Royal Djurgården Administration has its offices here, in a hexagonal building which dates from 1989.

Thielska Galleriet

This white, green-domed mansion, designed by Ferdinand Boberg, was built for bank director Ernst Thiel in 1905. The art collection which he assembled resulted in the picture gallery which is now open to the public.

Täcka Udden

A castle-like villa was built here, at "Fair Point", in 1866 from punch manufacturer C.F. Cederlund, to drawings by the brothers Axel and Hjalmar Kumlien. Formerly the home of Marcus Wallenberg.


Prince Eugen had a palatial villa built here, to drawings by Ferdinand Boberg. The picture gallery was added in 1913. One notable attraction is "Prince Eugen's Oak", which with its girth of 842 cm is rated the biggest on Djurgården and, with its thousand years, the oldest. Waldemarsudde is now open to the public.

Wicanderska Villan

designed by Axel Kumlien, this villa was built in the 1870s for Hjalmar Wicander, a cork manufacturer. Later on Wicander had the villa rebuilt in a mixture of Art Nouveau and Baroque. It is now the home of the Institute for Nordic Ethnology.


"Owl's Nest", near Lilla Skuggan, was design by Ferdinand Boberg for the then Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf (later Gustaf VI Adolf), who, with his family, used it as a summer retreat until 1919.

Find out more